Spaghetti Marinara is a Western dish that is soooo popular among Filipinos and is often termed as „spaghetti,“ the one with a rich tomato sauce and some meat and cheese served in most fastfoods. Filipinos also have a version that is a little bit different from the original because it has hotdogs or corned beef and it is kinda sweet…. yeah that sweet-style or Filipino style that you always see when you buy „spaghetti sauce“ in the grocery.
Now, I’d like to share my version that is quite close to the authentic Spaghetti Marinara without losing the Filipino touch in it 😊 I’m doing this because I want to pass on this recipe to my child… who knows he might like cooking someday😊😇
¼ kg ground pork or beef
5 cloves of garlic, minced
¼ cup red onion, minced
3 Tbsp. cooking oil
200 g Ideal spaghetti pasta
150 g Del Monte tomato paste (yes, the one in a small pouch)
1 small can Jolly button mushroom (pieces and stems)
2 Tbsp. Reno liver spread
20 g Dairy Magic Margarine
½ cup OK cheddar cheese, grated
1 tsp. Mc Cormick dried basil leaves and/or freshly chopped basil
1 red bell pepper
salt and pepper to taste
1. In a caserole, add 4-6 cups of water. Add some cooking oil and salt. Add the spaghetti pasta and let it boil for 10 minutes until it is firm.
2. Drain the pasta and set aside.
1. Pre-heat a separate pan for 3 to 5 minutes.
2. Add cooking oil and spread it on the pan with a rotating motion.
3. Sautè minced red onion until it becomes clear, then add the minced garlic and saute it until nearly golden brown.
4. Add the ground pork or beef and continue sautèing until the meat becomes golden brown… not burned.😊 This way, the sauce becomes meatier in taste.
5. Sautè the bell pepper and mushroom then mix it well. Add some dried basil herbs to enhance the taste. You may also put chopped fresh basil to give it some kick😉
6. Add the liver spread, tomato paste and some pasta water just to thin the consistency a little. Stir it slowly and simmer for 3 to 5 minutes.
7. Season it with salt and finely ground pepper and simmer for another 2 minutes.
8. Add the margarine to the sauce and stir well until it melts completely.
9. Add the pasta to the sauce and toss it carefully so that the noodles won’t break. Make sure that the sauce is spread evenly.
10. Top it with grated cheese and serve.
This recipe is good for 4 to 5 servings. I’m sure your family will like this new version of spaghetti that you always love. Happy tummy everyone!!😊👌